Thursday, May 8, 2008

Surgery went well

I think I worried myself sick about Raegan's surgery - Tuesday night I had a terrible upset stomach. Raegan went to bed about 8pm Tuesday night and I set my alarm to wake her up at 1 for a bottle, she downed it and was back to sleep by 1:30 until 6am. I thought she was going to be a crabby butt but surprisingly she was in a good mood. I tried to keep her occupied and did different things than what we normally do in the morning; we stayed upstairs and played in sissy's bed and kept playing Hannah Montana over and over and over again as Raegan is just like her big sis and loves HM. About ten to seven we headed down stairs and got ready to go - again kept her out of the kitchen so she wouldn't think she was getting a bottle. Somehow in 10 minutes she managed to make a mess of the living room. We were out the door a little after 7 and dropped Alli off at daycare and then arrived a little before our 7:45 deadline. Surgery was scheduled for 8:45; we were called back to the room at 8:15 and met with the nurse and then the anesthesiologist about 8:30 and he went over everything with us and said it should be, but couldn't promise, about 20 minutes before the nurse came to get Raegan. Well at 9 o'clock the poor thing started getting fussy and I really thought that was the end of it all, but she managed to get over the hunger pains and fell asleep. When the nurse came in at 9:15 Raegan was still asleep as she took her away - which I am thankful for. Not sure I could have handled her crying hysterically leaving me for surgery. Raegan was the 3rd child for tubes that day - the first one cried, which made Raegan cry and when they took the 2nd child back Raegan was sleep else she would have cried then too. We had just got up to the lobby, popped open a can of soda and my pager/beeper was going off; it actually frightened me as I couldn't fathom that they had already performed the surgery and for a brief moment I was scared that something wasn't right. We sat for a few minutes in the consultation room and my heart was racing; finally I saw the Dr and he had a smile on his face and immediately said the surgery went well, she did great and she was in recovery we could head back. As I approached #20 (one of my favorite numbers) I could hear my little girl crying, no more like screaming. I was not ready for what I saw once I got to her. She was thrashing, screaming hysterically and big horse tears coming from her not yet opened eyes. I took her from the nurse and tired talking her awake, tried comforting her but nothing was working. I felt useless seeing her the way she was. She fought the anesthesia for about 20 minutes, barely opening her eyes but she did manage to eat most of a bottle. We only had to stay for 30 minutes and she was coming around. By the time the nurse carried her to our car, not out of need but a want, Raegan was smiling and waving bye-bye. The ride home was a little rough, but she put herself to sleep and by 10:30 we were home, finally. It seem like forever, when it had only been 4 1/2 hours since Raegan woke that morning.
I think she did wonderfully - we haven't seen any kind of discharge from ears, just some bloody flakes from the left ear which has been her most infected ear. She made mommy and daddy very proud, she was a trooper. Joe and I took yesterday off to be with Raegan, we napped and played and Raegan seemed to be talking more already. Joe got Alli early from daycare and then they got in the pool for the first time. It was a bit chilly - only 74 but that didn't stop Alli from having a blast. We let Raegan dangle her feet - she splashed and kept trying to wiggle her way futher in. By the time we have our pool party she will be able to get in with no worries - we have two weeks of no water in the ears. Bath time is going to be difficult, but I think we will manage. I am just thankful that everything went well and so happy that she seems to be a happier baby as well. The jibber jabber has picked up and she continues to amaze us each and every day.
Both girls continue to amaze us...sitting at the dinner table last night Alli was talking politics. Barack-U Bama she calls him getting him confused with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson we think!! But nonetheless it was cute.
I will try to post pictures this weekend! Hope everyone has a great weekend.

No comments: