Saturday, May 31, 2008

Not What I Planned For

This weekends events have been the complete opposite of what we planned for....
So I wake up Thursday morning and have a stomach ache, nothing big. I go to the bathroom and feel a bit better, thought I was good to go. WRONG! Throughout the day sitting at my desk the stomach ache gets worse and although not unbearable, it's extremely uncomfortable. I hadn't had much to eat, only a slimfast so I knew it wasn't food related. I was looking forward to my parents arrival that evening. When they got to the house about 6 Joe grilled some burgers and hot dogs and I didn't feel like eating but decided to have a burger since I had had no food at all. Burger tasted fine...but I was nauseous and the pains were getting worse. Finally went to bed and could not get comfortable and the "gassy" pains were now in the center of my belly and on the right. Biology was not a good subject for me and I had asked what side the appendix was on...the right of course and my mind started to wonder "what if?". So I waddle my way downstairs and Google Appendicitis. Staring at me on the computer I see my symptoms listed: abdominal pain, nausea/vomiting, loss of appetite. Now my mind really wonders. I finally gave into exhaustion and got a couple hours of sleep woke up and felt okay to tackle the work day.
So I stopped and got an Ice Latte for breakfast, I wanted something with some flavor but didn't want the Slim Fast thinking that maybe that had something to do with my issues. I emailed Joe and told him I wasn't feeling the greatest again and wanted to know a co-workers symptoms when he had appendicitis; same things I was having, but he was doubled over in pain and I was not. So then I call my Dr's office to get their opinion and this is what I was told...."if you are doubled over in pain you need to get to the ER immediately, we can't fit you in today but we can try for tomorrow (Saturday)." WHAT? They just told me I needed to see someone with a possible appendicitis but won't fit me in - what is wrong with this picture. So Joe takes the afternoon off and we head to urgent care. After two hours there and several pricks (needle pricks, not people) later they tell me I have a high white blood cell count and they are sending me for a CAT Scan. But wait...I have an HMO and need a referral that they can't do since they are not my primary care physician. Finally they get the referral and I had for the scan. Have you ever had a CAT Scan? The drink was nasty and I had to drink three glasses full of this stuff. That was more than I had drank in the last two days all together. At 4 I finally go for the scan, they inject the dye do about a 5 minute test and the tech tells me I can go sit in this comfy chair as they may need to do some more pictures. So I run to the bathroom and as I am coming out she tells me I can get dressed, the Dr has already looked at the pictures and she'll get with me. So it's one of two things, right? Either the test showed absolutely nothing and it is just gas or I am heading to the ER.
About 5 o'clock we are arriving at the ER, I have an appendicitis and will have surgery ASAP. I was a wreck. I hadn't seen my girls all day, I was actually getting hungry and thirsty but knew that would screw up the surgery so I waited. Good thing my folks were in town to watch and take care of the girls. Joe and Annie stayed with me while waiting to go back to the OR, making jokes as usual and making me laugh, in pain and all. I guess it was about 8:30 that I finally got wheeled back to the OR, what an eerie feeling that was. I remember asking the anesthesiologist if they had just given me something and I heard a slight chuckle and that was it...next thing I remember is waking up in recovery about 10pm.
So here I am now...at home recovering for having a useless organ removed from my body. I have three bandages on my belly from the laproscopic appendectomy, my belly is still bloated from the gasses and am high on percocet. What more could a girl as for? Oh wait, I also have a hemorrhaging ovary, a hernia that has probably been there since birth and my liver sits up and down rather than across. I am messed up or what? So now I also have to make an apt with my OB/GYN to have the ovary checked out.
This is not the weekend I had planned and I am a planner. I was so looking forward to spending some quality time with my parents, swimming, shopping, maybe a drink or two. Well at least there is tomorrow to have some good time with my parents. Today I have pretty much been out of it thanks to 2 percocet every 4 or so hours. Tomorrow I can finally take a shower and I am so looking forward to that. I can't so swimming for 3-5 days at the earliest and have a work release for two weeks but dr said that if after a week I feel up to it, it's my call. So we will see. But as you know - I am not one to sit around, I can't! I get anxious and need to be on the go. So long as I am taking percocet I can't drive, which sucks too.
So my weekend has pretty much sucked, but thanks to the drugs I am getting by. The pain is not so bad, but I have to keep telling myself to relax and that's the hard part. It's now 12:04am and I think I am going to call it a night again and head back to bed.
Hopefully everyone's weekend was better than mine!
Thanks for all the prayers.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Wow - sorry to hear you had to have surgery and on the weekend your parents came. But like you said, atleast the girls were with them and you dind't have to worry about them. Get better soon!